Court Martial & Military Law
The Court Martial Group at 39 Park Square is one of the most successful and experienced in the country. We offer genuine expertise in what is a discrete and specialised area of practice.
Our experience and understanding of Military Law and Service Life
All of our barristers understand the requirements and realities of service life; the structure of the Armed Forces and the Chain of Command. Our Barristers recognise, above all, the need to gain the trust of the soldier, airman, or marine who may be more used to following orders than giving instructions
Our Military Law services
We deal with Court Martial and Military Law, including representation at Court Martial and the Courts Martial Appeal Court. We can provide specialist advice to anyone facing AGAI proceedings or pursuing a Redress of Complaint. We also provide representation in connection with appeals before the Reserve Forces Appeal Tribunal.
As soon as we are involved we will arrange a meeting so that we can explain what is happening and the timescale of future events. We will provide personal mobile telephone and e-mail contact details so that any questions can be answered quickly and easily.
- barristers experienced in service law
- barristers who understand service life
- barristers who readily accessible to answer questions
- representation at Court Martial
- clear straight forward advice on AGAI proceedings
- clear straight forward advice on Redress of Complaint
- reduced fee rates for armed forces members where legal aid is not available
Members of the group have successfully dealt with cases involving
- manslaughter – one high profile case led not only to the acquittal of a L/Cpl. charged with the killing of his Troop Sgt. in Iraq but the re-instatement of pre-deployment training to Army Operational Shooting
- policy standards
- Illegal shipment of arms – another high profile case of arms shipped from Iraq to Germany, where the client was the only defendant cleared of all charges
- historic sexual abuse
- sexual assaults
- violent disorder
- serious offences of dishonesty
- Army and Air Force Act offences
- absence without leave
Fees, Funding and Armed Forces Criminal Legal Aid
If you are granted legal aid all of our fees are covered by the Armed Forces Criminal Legal Aid Scheme. We will never ask you for any form of payment. We will never charge additional amounts for our travel or accommodation or for additional meetings.
In light of the recent changes to the provision of Legal Aid to members of the Armed Forces, in some cases we can offer a non-legal aid service that will be significantly less than your legal aid contribution.
We offer reduced rates in cases involving members of the armed forces where legal aid is not available.